SharePoint Content Database Migration – Missing Features and 404 Errors

This has been driving me crazy for a while now. Managed to migrate a SharePoint 2010 content database to SharePoint 2013 first time with little effort. But, to do it a second time – no.

I was receiving a lot of errors saying that certain features were missing – some of which were not even uploaded to the SharePoint 2010 server itself. So I did a little bit of digging. I found out that for some reason, unlike before – no Search Service Application was set up, for some unknown reason. So this was required to be set up to enable the content database to stop throwing a 404 file not found error. Continue reading